Tuesday, April 10, 2007

What's up with El Paso?

I don't look for monsters under the bed, in the closet, or behind the drapes. I don't think I'm paranoid. But you've also heard that just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you…

Reading my local newspaper, I see Smucker acquires Eagle brands. Not that I would know the difference between one owner and another, but I noticed that 45 local workers will lose their jobs, though some will supposedly be able to transfer to Orrville, OH. Smucker will continue Eagle brand operations in Seneca MO and El Paso TX.

The last paragraph was troubling to me. I quote: "Smucker's size provides bargaining power with food retailers such as Wal-Mart and Kroger,who have grown in recent years, Steinke said."

I understand that in this way: a large company becomes larger. That has consequences.

Turning the page, I read Hoover will cut 750 jobs, owners say. Now get this. 650 union positions will be lost. Hong Kong based Techtronics Industries Co.Ltd. acquired Hoover from Whirlpool. And get this, too: the manufacturing work will be consolidated into operations in El Paso, TX, and Juarez, Mexico.

There's so much I don't know about all this, and I suspect the big boys like it that way. I have no quarrel with the Chinese, but why do they own a company here? What's the economics of that? And what about El Paso? What's the economics of THAT, too?

Somehow, without understanding the details, I suspect this does not bode well for the little guys, but will definitely enhance the incomes and lifestyles of the power and greed monsters.

Assuming there's a sucker punch in this story that will affect us in time, the only thing I know is to avoid buying their products. Smucker is easy. Jelly, sweetened condensed milk and all that aren't real foods anyway. We're already out of control in terms of healthy choices, so this choice could become a blessing. But Hoover? Well, we've got to clean our floors, right? On the other hand, we don't have to emulate Martha Stewart, do we? Perhaps the day will come when we'll have to do what the majority of people on this planet have to do. Live on bare floors. That's OK. I've never read in the obits that anybody died because of bare floors.

No comments: